- Season: Perennial
- USDA Zones: 5 - 9
- Height: 30 inches
- Bloom Season: Late spring to early fall
- Bloom Color: Purple
- Environment: Full sun to partial shade
- Soil Type: pH 6.1 - 7.8
- Temperature: 78F 7 - 14 days, then 45F for 21 days
- Average Germ Time: 28 - 35 days
- Light Required: Yes
- Depth: 1/8th inch
- Sowing Rate: 2 - 3 seeds per plant
- Moisture: Keep seeds moist until germination
- Plant Spacing: 18 - 24 inches
Astrantia (Astrantia Major Purple Shades) - Not only will butterflies love your Astrantia plant, buy your neighbors will too! Long-flowering, from June until September, growing 30 inches tall. Astrantia purple shades will produce flower blooms approximately 2 inches in diameter. Striking for your perennial garden and great for bouquets as well. Grown from Astrantia seeds and is also called Masterwort.
Masterwort is highly regarded by floral designers for the unique umbels of starry flowers. It has a similar effect in growth habit to Queen-Anne's-Lace, but fortunately it does not have the weedy habit. Astrantia flowers may be cut fresh, or dried for winter arrangements. Easily divided in early spring. Remove faded Astrantia flowers to encourage more buds, also to prevent plants from self seeding all over.