- Season: Perennial
- USDA Zones: 8 - 10
- Height: 30 - 40 inches
- Bloom Season: None
- Bloom Color: Inconspicuous
- Environment: Full sun to partial shade
- Soil Type: Wet, pH 5.0 - 6.0
- Temperature: 68 - 72F
- Average Germ Time: 12 - 15 days
- Light Required: No. Needs darkness to germinate.
- Depth: Lightly cover the seeds and keep them moist. Avoid dry substrates.
- Sowing Rate: 6 - 8 seeds per plant
- Moisture: Keep seeds moist until germination
- Plant Spacing: 12 inches
- Care & Maintenance: See: Umbrella Plant
Umbrella Plant (Cyperus Alternifolius) - Grow this unique, tropical plant from Umbrella Plant seeds! Also called the Umbrella Palm or Umbrella Grass Plant, this unusual perennial prefers to be kept wet at all times. In fact, it can grow very well submerged in water. Flower spikes and slim leaves form "umbrellas" on top of dark green stems. The best flowering and growth results appear in full sun, but Umbrella Plants can tolerate some shade. Brown leaf tips will form on the Umbrella Palm tree if it is allowed to dry out. Tidy the plant by removing broken or dead stems.
Cyperus Alternifolius Umrella Plant does best in a tropical environment, but it quickly adapts to the home. You cannot over water this plant! It will thrive when its roots are kept continuously wet. To ensure that the plant does not dry out, it is best to put the pot inside a second larger pot that has water in it, or grow Umbrella Plant in an aquarium or swamp type environment. Umbrella Grass Plant is well-suited as an ornamental water plant.
How To Grow Umbrella Plant: Sow Umbrella Plant seeds indoors. Pre-moisten peaty starter mix. Sow the Umbrella Palm seed on the surface, lightly cover. Keep the flower seeds continuously moist until germination. Keep the flower seed shielded from direct sunlight. Umbrella Plant will readily self-sow.