Eureka II hard fescue grass is one of the best hard fescues on the market today. It has been selected as a low growing fine fescue with a darker green color which makes it a premium grass for both low maintenance sites and as part of a high quality lawn mix. In addition, Eureka II fescue grass seed contains very high levels of viable endophyte. The endophyte is a fungus that lives between the plant cells and provides Eureka II with natural insect resistance and the ability to persist in adverse environmental conditions. It is also a good grass seed for shade conditions. Hard fescue uses range from erosion control, creating a naturalized area that will not be mowed or maintained, as well as a fine fescue lawn.
Eureka II ranked #1 for quality rating grown under shade in the 2005 NTEP trials making it ideal for lower maintenance areas as well as fine turf areas. It also ranked high for genetic color, shade tolerance, and drought tolerance. Eureka II fescue grass is well adapted for mixtures with bluegrass, perennial ryegrass, and other fine fescue grasses in cool season mixtures requiring shade and drought tolerance.
Eureka II contains high levels of viable endophytes. The presence of these high levels provides many benefits that make this grass seed particularly valuable for use in those sites where chemical applications are limited. The presence of the endophyte has been shown to provide resistance to a number of important turf insects including: billbugs, sod webworms, chinch bugs, and armyworms. In addition, endophyte-enhanced cultivars during high stress periods have demonstrated increased vigor, reduced weed invasion, rapid recovery from injury, improved persistence, greater density, and increased heat and drought tolerance. The presence of the endophyte makes Eureka II fescue grass seed even better adapted to the droughty, low maintenance sites where hard fescues are superior.
Eureka II fescue grass has shown high resistance to many common turf diseases including leafspot, red thread, summer patch, pink patch, netblotch, powdery mildew, leaf rust, and dollar spot. This combination of disease and insect resistance contributes to its superior performance in the shade and makes Eureka II fescue grass perfect for environmentally sensitive areas where chemical applications may be limited.
Outstanding Turf Quality
- Ranked #1 for overall quality grown under shade
- Dark green genetic color
- Very fine leaf texture
- Very good mowing qualities
- Excellent disease resistance
- Excellent red thread and dollar spot resistance
- Excellent drought tolerance
- Very good wear and traffic tolerance
- Excellent spring green-up and density
Seeding Rate & Planting Time
- New turf: Sow 4 - 5 pounds Eureka II hard fescue grass seed per 1,000 square feet or 160 - 200 lbs/acre for broadcast seeding
- Over-seeding: Sow 2 - 2 1/2 pounds hard fescue grass seed per 1,000 square feet or 80 - 100 lbs per acre for broadcast over-seeding
- Plant cool climate grass seed when soil temperature reaches 55 degrees in spring up until a minimum of 8 weeks before frost in fall