Butterfly Flower (Angel Wings Mix) Planting and Care Guide
Quick Facts About Butterfly Flower
Grown in mass plantings, Butterfly Flower offers an incredible display of color. Also known as Poor Man's Orchid, the blooms are exotic looking and orchid-like. The annual attracts butterflies and other pollinators, and it can be used as a cut flower. A great, colorful, long-blooming mix!
Start Butterfly Flower seeds indoors 8 - 10 weeks prior to the end of frost season.
Choose a location for Butterfly Flowers that has moist, rich soil that drains well. Also, morning sunshine and afternoon shade is best. The plants don't perform well in hot, full sun exposures.
How to Plant Butterfly Flower
- Sow the flower seeds in starter trays
- Lightly cover the seeds with soil
- Keep the trays moist and warm for germination
- It may be helpful to cover the trays with plastic wrap to hold in moisture
- Once seedlings emerge, remove the plastic
- Pinch the young plants back to encourage bushier growth
- Harden off the plants for 7 - 10 days
- Transplant outside and space the plants about 12 inches apart
Care And Maintenance
- Water regularly to establish the plants
- One application of fertilizer during the growing season is helpful
- Deadhead the spent blooms to encourage more
- May need to support the plants if there's wind
- Butterfly Plants are sensitive to temperatures - heat and cold - grow in containers that can be moved indoors as needed
- Can be grown as a house plant