OSP Rye Grass Seed
OSP Ryegrass (Lolium perenne) - this perennial rye grass was developed with turf characteristics important for all uses. In addition, this rye grasshas superior seed quality, with a “Poa–free” tag based on extended seed testing so you are not planting your problems. The cultivars used exhibit rapid establishment, stress and disease tolerance, cool weather active growth, wear tolerance and recovery. They demonstrated high overall performance under various maintenance levels ranging from golf course fairways to residential lawns.
The range of performance of OSP ryegrass make it ideal for all perennial ryegrass uses. The components of this rye grass blend have been selected for excellent traffic tolerance which makes it superior for use on sports fields, as well as parks. The high summer performance due to its drought and stress tolerance make it ideal for permanent turf. Yet OSP rye grass has also shown excellent performance as a grass for overseeding bermuda grass with superior winter growth. Excellent germination and growth with saline water enable this rye grass seed blend to be used in marginal sites.
Disease Resistance: The cultivars in this rye grass blend exhibit high levels of Gray Leaf Spot resistance and are also resistant to many other important turf diseases, including: Crown Rust, Winter Net Blotch, Dollar Spot, Red Thread and Brown Patch. The broad genetic base insures high resistance against a broad range of diseases for consistent performance.
Endophyte-Enhanced: OSP rye grass seed contains high levels of viable endophytes. This provides resistance to a large number of surface and crown feeding insects including billbugs, sod webworms, chinch bugs and armyworms. The presence of endophytes also contributes to increased stress tolerance with better summer survival and enhanced fall recovery.
- Superior seed quality "Poa Free"
- High Gray Leaf Spot resistance
- Excellent wear tolerance
- Fine leaf texture and vibrant green color
- Excellent seedling vigor
- Superior seedling and mature plant salt tolerance
- Excellent for permanent turf and overseeding warm-season grasses
- Uses: Golf courses, sports fields, parks, schools and commercial landscaping
- Rapid establishment to outcompete Poa annua and other weeds
- Disease resistance results in fewer fungicide applications
- High levels of viable endophyte for insect control
- Reduced inputs and lower maintenance costs
- Widely adapted due to broad genetic base
- Rapid tillering, spreading varieties for excellent wear tolerance
Seeding Rate of Rye Grass & Planting Time:
- New turf: Sow 8 - 10 pounds Rye grass lawn seed per 1,000 square feet or 320 - 400 lbs/acre for broadcast seeding
- Over-seeding: Sow 4 - 5 pounds Ryegrass seed per 1,000 square feet or 160 - 200 lbs per acre for broadcast over-seeding
- Plant this perennial Ryegrass seed blend when soil temperature reaches 55 degrees in spring up until a minimum of 6 weeks before frost in fall
- Germination: Rye grass turf seed will emerge in 3 - 10 days under proper conditions. First mowing is typically 2 - 3 weeks after emergence