Scarlet Runner Beans Seeds
USDA Zones: 3 - 11
Height: 100 - 140 inches
Bloom Season: Late spring to late summer
Bloom Color: Mix
Environment: Full sun
Soil Type: Well drained, pH 6.6 - 7.5
Average Germ Time: 7 - 14 days
Light Required: No
Depth: 1 inch deep
Sowing Rate: 1 seed per plant
Moisture: Keep the soil moderately moist during germination
Plant Spacing: 6 inches
Care & Maintenance: Scarlet Runner Beans
Scarlet Runner Bean Mix (Phaseolus Coccineus Mix) - Every gardener should try growing Scarlet Runner Beans seeds. This unique plant is a decorative runner beans mix with colorful beans, three flower colors and edible young pods. Here are some very interesting facts about Phaseolus Coccineus Scarlet Runner:
- They are nutritious, good and healthy to eat
- Have a more distinctive flavor than French beans
- You can eat the fresh pods after cooking, or harvest seeds from older pods to cook as haricot beans
- They are often prolific croppers - with a freezer you can grow enough to last many months
- They easily grow in odd spaces amongst flowers, etc...
- Scarlet Runner Beans also have attractive flowers
- Flat runner beans are not stocked fresh in small fruit and vegetable shops, or in tins or frozen packs
- Like other plants of the pea family this crop leaves your soil enriched in nitrogen
Scarlet Runner Beans have brilliant red flowers that last throughout the summer. This wonderful mix has brown, purple, and red flamed beans as well as white. Flowers are scarlet, white, and bi-color red and white. The blossoms are less than an inch across and grow in clusters. The edible beans grow up to a foot long and are especially good when picked young. Pick them often to promote continued flowering. The Scarlet Runner Bean vine will quickly and brilliantly cover fences, trellises and other garden structures and will climb 10 - 12 feet.
Sow Scarlet Runner Beans seeds outdoors after all danger of frost has passed. Plant Phaseolus Coccineus seed 1 inch deep and 3 inches apart. Germination takes 7 - 14 days. Keep the soil moderately moist during germination. Thin 4 - 6 inches apart when plants are 2 - 3 inches tall.
Runner beans are a favorite with hummingbirds and butterflies. Plant some on a back fence or a trellis and enjoy the flowers and the hummingbirds year after year! Plants need full sun and plenty of water. Growing Scarlet Runner Beans is fun and rewarding!